Game Day: Tuesday, July 21st

The pilot light has been lit and the stove is warming up.

Let's check in on the early deadline deals around MLB.

MIN acquires RHRP Tommy Nance 

Is Minnesota adding to the bullpen in a way that says they intend to be buyers and sellers at the trade deadline?

Tommy Nance is a controllable bullpen arm and he is a good pitcher at the back of a bullpen but he is in his age-35 season.  His team control is for his age-36, age-37 and age-38 seasons.  He isn't likely to emerge as a top-flight option out of the bullpen but he has posted consistently.  His numbers estimate him to be a pitcher who is good for:  10K/9, 3.5BB/9, 1.30 WHIP, 1.2HR/9 and a 4.00 FIP -- if he can continue to pitch like that, this is a very savvy addition for the Twins.

It doesn't really announce their intention to be buyers at the trade deadline.  They certainly aren't all-in in '26 but they saw a good opportunity and nailed it.  

The Twins did give up a good prospect to land Nance.  Blue Jays get Ryan Sprock, a C/3B who has posted impressive numbers this season.  .296/.427/.438 across three-levels in '26, that sort of plate discipline and contact hitting paired with power potential that could develop, it's difficult to find.  Sprock could be a very good hitter.  

His defense isn't great.  He is unlikely to stick at C, think Liam Hicks, he can't throw anybody out, but like Hicks, the bat could be special.  He has shown some ability at 3B and the outfield is certainly a possibility.  He has a similar skillset to Tyler Soderstrom in that way.  He could turn into an excellent RF.

Twins get an International draft pick (bonus pool monies) as well and those can pan out.  It isn't a throw in by any means.  This trade is a pretty square deal but I like Sprock and think the Blue Jays win this trade by a nose.

Pirates acquire SS Jacob Gonzalez, LHRP Brandon Eisert

The White Sox traded their first round pick from the '23 MLB draft for what amounts to a first round draft pick in '26.  They used that pick to acquire Jim Thome's son, Landon Thome, who looks a little soft to me.  

Jacob Gonzalez played at Ole Miss and hit 19 homers in AAA Charlotte.  He hit .320/.425/.675 in over 239 plate appearances in the highest league in Minor League Professional Baseball and has the glove to play all four positions in the infield.

Great trade for Pittsburgh here.  They turn their draft pick into an MLB ready player who can hit homers and play defense.  

Eisert has four years of team control and is an MLB-ready bullpen arm.  His numbers are off slightly in '26 but he has flashed his potential at the big league level and will likely make an impact down the stretch for this Pirates' team.

It is a gift for this Pirates' team.  Chris Getz makes the homer trade and drafts Thome's kid who looks like a bust to me.  Gonzalez could have been better than Colson Montgomery.

Terrible trade for the White Sox here.

Red Sox Acquire OF Jahmai Jones

Jones was acquired for cash considerations from the Detroit Tigers.  He has struggled most of the season and is mostly serving as depth for the Red Sox with Isiah Kiner Falefa and Roman Anthony on the IR.  Falefa and Anthony are both likely to supplant Jones on the active roster should they get healthy.
 
This trade was basically Detroit cutting bait on Jones and Boston having a short-term need on their bench.
 
There were a few other trades around the league but it's getting late.  I ran into a few technology issues today.  My native Blogger app on my Android phone isn't working and I have had to work in the browser.
 
I don't have mobile internet so now I am forced to find an internet connection where I could previously write my posts and save my drafts in the Blogger App.
 
I now have to devise and entirely new workflow.  It shouldn't be much of an issue.  I'm going to find a new app to write in offline and save my work in that app.  I'll then post in the browser when I connect to wifi.  Editing will be more difficult in a sense but I'll figure it out.
 
That's it for Game Day today.  It's been a stressful day because of the tech issues.  Likely no pick tonight unless there is a game that I can't pass on.  

Popular posts from this blog

Postgame Report: MIN -1.5 (-120) Loss

Today's Pick: A 2 Team Parlay

Postgame Report: MIL (-130) Winner