Game Day: Sunday, July 19th
I got a late start today. First hike of the year yesterday. I went 10 miles with the heavy pack and the bucket and I'm definitely wiped out.
The good news is that I completed the hike relatively easily. Some trouble with my knee but I'm going to push through it all summer. It only hurts when I stop hiking. When I'm on the move, it feels strong and stabilizes. When I stop to rest, the pain resumes and the knee feels tender. I think it's osteoarthritis.
My hips are thrashed too. 46 years old, I imagine that it is normal and a part of aging.
It's why you don't see many baseball players in MLB past their 40th birthday. The human body calcifies, degrades, weakens and eventually dies.
The two oldest players in MLB this season are Justin Verlander (43) and Max Scherzer (41). JV is retiring at the end of the season. I thought he could have gotten to 300 wins but it didn't go his way the past few seasons. He would have had to put in a Jaime Moyer sort of run in his forties and he didn't have the meddle for it.
It really says a lot about the accomplishments of Phil Niekro and Jaime Moyer. Niekro posted 121 wins after the age of 40. Niekro, at the age of 45, made 31 starts, pitched 215 innings, and won 16 games with a 3.09 ERA on the season. He made the All-Star game that season and pitched until he was 48. Amazing. Niekro is in the Hall of Fame.
Jamie Moyer pitched until he was 47 and won 105 games after the age of 40. Niekro and Moyer are the only two pitchers in MLB history to win over 100 games after their 40th birthdays. It is very difficult to accomplish that feat. Moyer should be in the Hall of Fame because of it.
That's it for Game Day. 20 Minutes before the Pirates and Guardians post. I wanted to get a pick in on Skenes today.