Game Day: Wednesday, July 1st
It's the first day in July. The month of June is named after the Roman Goddess, Juno, the Queen of the Gods. July is named after the emperor, Julius Caeser.
The Gregorian calendar and the celestial concepts of the sun, the moon, the planets, the galaxies: they remain prevelent within the dominant schools of thought and understanding that exist in the world today. Powerful celestial bodies that science, and in some sense, religion, have assigned meaning to and understanding to in a way that unites mankind.
I prefer to assign my own meaning and understanding to the sun, the moon and the stars with the belief that the sun is my own. The moon is my own. The stars too. I make them my own because if I don't, this world uses esoteric and metaphysical conceptualizations of these celestial bodies against me and they are constants in this existence. Unity and centrality hasn't represented me well.
The sun doesn't represent Ra, the god of the sun as the Egyptians may know it. The moon doesn't belong to Apollo. Sirius isn't where my dog is from nor do I care for a Milky Way. I don't like milk chocolate. There is a Milky Way dark bar. I guess that is a candy bar for me.
Afrodite and Eros are not for me and are not welcome in my heart nor is blues legend, Buddy Guy. I saw him in person. He stood a foot from me with his guitar in hand.
I didn't make a deal with the devil that day nor did I at the crossroads in Mississippi. I have been there, in the middle of nowhere Mississippi, with a broken hip and nothing but the clothes on my back.
I will not rest in your peace in lieu of the peace you stole from me. You will not possess my heart. You can't mount your spirit anymore. I'll cut the strings of the puppet master and it will be he who floats away like a hot air balloon.
I would have no chance to survive this life if I didn't create my own understanding of this world. That isn't in lieu of my truth. It is my truth. I do not tell lies. The truth in my heart will live on.
I believe the sun is for me and the moon too and that the stars shine for me. I believe that to be true for everybody. I believe in honor and in honesty. I am not a narcissicist or a megalomaniac because I choose to believe in a good life and that my way is the right way. I don't accept fate or destiny. I won't serve you of my own willingness and of my own accord. I don't accept any covenants.
That is what Independence is about to me. That is what this country was founded on. Freedom from the King and freedom from religious persecution.
"Religious persecution is the systematic oppression of an individual or a group of individuals as a response to their religious beliefs or affiliations or their lack thereof."
The World of MLB baseball is in one way or another a fantasy world and fantasy baseball is a world all its' own too. I'm not sure if MLB is for me. I don't want to be associated with ESPN or MLB in any way other than as a fan of baseball, as an independent writer and blogger and as a guy who has always loved math and statistics.
I have loved this game all my life and am committed to finishing the season. As a baseball fan, as a writer and as a gambler.
Let's check-in on the world of baseball:
The Hot Dog Man vs. the Wheel Man
Paul Skenes (6-7) hasn't won a game since May 12th. He has sold more hot dogs this year than he has won baseball games. Did you see Skenes handing out hot dogs at Sheetz? It's a classic photo. Zack Wheeler (8-1) is on a roll with four wins in June. Both pitchers are pumped up for this one. This is MLB's best game tonight. It's a 5:40 PM CDT start from Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, PA.
Fourth of July Fireworks
The Fourth of July holiday falls on a Saturday this year. 250 is an important anniversary? Or, a good marketing opportunity? It is interesting that the holiday falls on a Saturday. It is a big opportunity for MLB to put on some epic fireworks shows.
MLB has bought into 250 and it looks like all across MLB there will be 4th of July block parties, discounted baseball tickets, $2.50 hot dogs and fireworks shows sponsored by Macy's. Im all for it. I think the holiday should be celebrated over the weekend every year and that it should be a four-day weekend. Friday and Monday bank holidays. Let's kick this holiday into high gear from now on.
All-Star Festivities
The MLB All-Star game is on Tuesday, July 14th. It's two weeks away. I haven't voted yet but am looking forward to the game. In lieu of voting, I am going to put together a 26-man roster for both the AL and the NL and I am going to name one legend and captain for each team so look out for that post before All-Star week.
The game is to be played at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, PA. That is right on track with America 250. The Liberty Bell and the Declaration of Independence. I feel like this hype around 250 is going to be detrimental for 2027, 2028, 2029. Is anybody going to really care about 251? Do we have to wait until 275 for another big day? Or for 500? Only 250 more years to go before another big marketing opportunity.
That is what America has become. A big marketing opportunity. Dollars and cents. Is that what the Declaration of Independence was really about? It doesn't matter because 250 is what is now and that is more important than what went down on July 4th, 1776 even though it is that historic day that we are celebrating this weekend.
I really think the government and the marketers are screwing up this holiday and that they really need to consider a four-day weekend in the first week of July with Independence Day celebrated on the first Sunday of the month from 250 onward. I think that is an idea the entire country can get behind. July 4th is the date in history that the Declaration of Independence was signed. In that way it's an important date but having the long weekend and Sunday as the official holiday celebration is more convenient and more enjoyable for everyone. The authors of the Constitution, I believe they put forth an honest effort to defeat oppression and to stamp out injustice. I believe in that spirit. I believe in the Constitution and that it will live on with even greater visibility with an entire week dedicated to it. Constitution Week and Independence Day Weekend. I'd vote for that.
MLB is putting on a game for historical black colleges called the Swingman Classic. Reminds me of the gallos some. This is segregation. Why would the blacks celebrate this game after all they have seemingly gained in this country and around the world? Make no mistake, absolute power corrupts absolutely. If the blacks ever get into power, they too will abuse it. This game is guilty. I won't be watching it. The truth is they like segregation when it is wealthy and on their terms. Did you see any of the BET awards? That was a niggerish party. I don't think this game is good for the USA, for black Americans, for Africans or for MLB. Historically black colleges exist for blacks who feel more comfortable in black environs. I think that is a good thing. Prejudice exists and will likely always exist until it is thoroughly bred out of existence. That will take a million years so what about whites who feel more comfortable in white environs? Russia? Scandanavia?
I am up for the MLB Futures game, highlighting all of the talented players in MiLB. This is a fun game. I think their should be an MiLB Home Run Derby too. The MiLB and MLB Home Run Derby winners should face off for the crown.
MLBx is an effort to promote the AUSL and that's cool, the softball league is a great idea and good for professional women's sports. I dont think the MLBx will be all that interesting and that it is mostly a marketing ploy but if it helps the softball league than it's a good thing.
Ballgame Blitz
I'll have an eye on Tatsuyama Imai and the Astros tonight. The Astros and the Twins split the first two games of a three-game set and play for the series tonight. Imai has been pitching well, collecting three wins in June. Taj Bradley has had a good season with Minnesota and is a good building block in this Twins' rotation. It will be interesting to see how the Twins handle Bradley when they officially bow out of the race at the end of July. It's a 7:10 PM CDT start from Daikin Park in Houston, TX.
Reds dropped the first two games of a four-game series against the Brewers. At (39-45), the Reds are dangerously close to falling out of contention. Cincinnati gets Hunter Greene back this weekend. Greene can be a difference maker. The first game in July is a big game for this Reds' team. A win to open the month will be a positive aspect to build on into the All-Star break. A four-game sweep by the Brewers will be devastating. Andrew Abbott (5-4) takes on Shane Drohan (3-2) in a 7:10 PM CDT start from American Family Field in Milwaukee, WI.
Marlins play for the sweep with a six-game winning streak on the line. Max Meyer (9-0) takes on Kyle Freeland (1-7) from Coors Field in Denver, CO. Freeland had a good start on June 19th against the Pirates. He got bombed on June 24th by the Red Sox. Meyer was (4-0) in June and posted a 1.78 ERA in 30.1 innings. First pitch at 7:40 PM CDT.
Zac Gallen (3-6) versus Trevor McDonald (2-6) doesn't look like a great game but the Diamondbacks are playing for a sweep and this game will be telling. If the Giants can't beat Zac Gallen tonight, they will, in a way, have officially checked out of the 2026 season. The Diamondbacks, with a win tonight, will have a three-game winning streak heading into a weekend series with the Brewers. They will have extended their season another week. It is a big game for both teams. Game starts at 8:40 PM CDT from Chase Field in Phoenix, AZ.
That's it for Game Day on the first day of July. It is a somewhat historic and philosophic edition that took me most of the afternoon to write. There is still time to get a pick in tonight. I might have a pick before post time. Stay tuned.